Last Updated: 2022-08-09
Doing business with the Halton Industry Education Council ("HIEC", "we" or "us"), using www.hiec.on.ca, www.apprenticesearch.com, www.employerregistry.ca and/or any and all other URLs which may be used by HIEC from time to time and all components thereof (collectively and each, the "HIEC Website") and ordering, receiving and/or using products and/or services from and/or on the HIEC Website (collectively, the "Deliverables", which term includes access to and use of the HIEC Website generally) involves providing information about yourself. We take our users’ privacy seriously – and our users have control over how their information is collected, used and disclosed by us.
We also recognize that the growth of online services, including Internet services, has created additional privacy concerns, particularly for consumers. HIEC maintains strict privacy policies in an effort to safeguard personally identifiable information ("Personally Identifiable Information" or "PII") and communications from unauthorized intrusions. Online privacy concerns focus primarily on the protection of PII which an individual reasonably expects to be kept private. As the term suggests, PII is information that, when associated with an individual identifies that individual, for example, a customer’s name, address, telephone number, e-mail address or credit card number.
Information Collection and Use
- When you create an online account with HIEC (a "Client Account") and/or order, receive and/or use the Deliverables, we may require and retain certain information, including but not necessarily limited to your name, phone number, email address and/or credit card information.
- If you create a Client Account, your activity history may be retained in your Client Account and/or otherwise by HIEC.
- We may automatically receive and record non-PII (i.e. information that does not identify you personally) on server logs from your browser, including your IP address, cookie information and the page you requested. User IP addresses may also be recorded for security and monitoring purposes.
- HIEC and/or HIEC’s third-party service providers may use collected/provided information for the following general purposes:
- to fulfill your requests for certain products, services, information and/or materials; and
- to protect you, HIEC and/or other users from error, fraud and unauthorized access to and/or use of the HIEC Website and/or the Deliverables.
Information Sharing and Disclosure by HIEC
- HIEC will not share PII about you to other companies or persons except when:
- We have your consent to share the information;
- We need to share the information with individuals and/or companies who work with and/or on our behalf to provide to you the Deliverables that you request;
- We reasonably believe it is necessary to share PII:
- to investigate, prevent or take action regarding situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, or
- for risk management purposes;
- We are required to disclose PII by reason of a court order, subpoena, search warrant, or other legal process or in the case of imminent physical harm to you, HIEC or others, or
- to establish or exercise HIEC's legal rights or defend against legal claims.
- HIEC may share aggregated and anonymous demographic data about our users to fulfill funding obligations.
Technical Allowances / Software Installation
- You understand and acknowledge that the technical processing and transmission of the Deliverables may involve (i) transmissions over various networks and/or (ii) changes to conform and adapt to technical requirements of connecting networks or devices.
- We and/or our third-party service provider(s) and payment processor(s)may perform technical functions necessary to offer the Deliverables. You agree to allow us to perform such technical functions and that such technical functions may include the installation of software on your device for the purpose of offering and providing the Deliverables.
- You agree to allow us to install any software selected by you through the HIEC Website, the Deliverables and/or other sources on your computer and/or mobile device.
Cookies and Usage Data
- When you access the Internet, the computers that host websites you visit ("web servers") automatically receive some anonymous information. This "usage data" may include a record of which pages a web browser has visited. The HIEC Website's servers receive usage data when users visit the HIEC Website and possibly when users visit other sites as well. HIEC, our service provider(s) and payment processor(s), and our respective advertisers may use various kinds of software devices to collect information about Internet use.
- Small files called "cookies" may be attached to your Web browser, computer and/or mobile device. You may be able to configure your browser/computer/device to accept or block all or some cookies, or notify you when a cookie is set. Each browser/computer/device is different, so check the "Help" menu of your browser/computer/device to learn how to change your cookie preferences. Note: Disabling cookies may mean that we may not be able provide certain Deliverables which may be of use to and/or requested by you.
- HIEC may also use "web beacons" to access our / the HIEC Website’s cookies inside and outside the Website and in connection with the Deliverables.
Links & Third Party Applications
- HIEC may provide, and the Website and/or the Deliverables may contain, links to other websites and/or third-party software and/or content. Although HIEC strives to link only to third parties that share HIEC's high standards and respect for privacy, we are not responsible for the content or practices employed by other websites or parties.
- Third party applications (such as widgets) created by third party developers may also be available on the Website and/or the Deliverables. Third party applications are small bits of software, often with interactivity, that can be installed into profiles or shared with other users. HIEC does not control third party developers and cannot dictate their actions. When you engage with a third party application, you are interacting with the third party, not with HIEC. We strongly encourage you to not provide PII to any third party unless you know the third party with whom you are interacting.
- If you go to another party’s website and/or software portal, including an advertiser’s website (for example by clicking on an advertisement), or request information or enter a contest, be aware that you may be authorizing a third party, including an advertising company, to use information you supply. The collection and use of information by others, including advertisers, are subject to the third party’s/parties’ own privacy policies, not this one.
Editing and Deleting Information
- You have the right to access, verify and update your PII and other information collected and maintained by us at any time, including whether you want HIEC to contact you about new Deliverables, changes to existing Deliverables and other products, services and materials offered and/or promoted by HIEC. You may modify or remove any of your information at any time by emailing us at email@example.com; provided however that to maintain a Client Account we must have an email on file for you.
- HIEC honours requests from users to review all PII maintained in reasonably retrievable form, and will correct any such information which may be inaccurate. You may also verify that appropriate corrections have been made.
Confidentiality and Security
- We have safeguards to protect your PII and we use commercially reasonable measures to safeguard PII in HIEC’s possession against loss, theft and unauthorized use, disclosure or modification.
- HIEC uses commercially reasonable methods to make sure that PII is appropriately complete. However, it is your responsibility to ensure that PII you provide to us is accurate and up to date.
- We limit access to PII to people who, as part of their job, we believe need to come into contact with that information to provide the Deliverables to you.
- Despite HIEC's high standards, no claim is made as to the impenetrability of our system under unusual circumstances or its resilience to future attacks.
- By using the HIEC Website and/or the Deliverables, and in particular downloading any software through the HIEC Website and/or other sources, you agree and consent that we, our partners and/or our affiliates may communicate with you via such methods of communications as may be necessary and/or advisable by us from time to time in our sole discretion, including but not limited to regular mail and email, whether specifically addressed to you or addressed to multiple parties.
- You hereby consent to the exchange of information and documents between us electronically over the Internet or by e-mail, including any exchange of information and receiving electronic communications from time to time, including updates, publications, announcements, messages (including marketing messages), and other communications, between any e-mail address which you provide to us and email addresses ending in "hiec.on.ca", "apprenticesearch.com", “employeregistry.com" and/or any other e-mail address(es) which we may provide to you until such time as you withdraw your consent by notifying us that you no longer wish to receive our electronic communications.
- You may withdraw the foregoing consents at any time. However, we note that we may not allow for communications in paper format or through other non-electronic means and it may be difficult or even impossible to provide access to and/or use of certain Deliverables without such consent. Therefore, if you withdraw your consent, your use of the Website and/or other Deliverables may be interrupted, limited and/or terminated. In order to withdraw your consent to direct communications from us to you, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- HIEC will inform you of any changes we make by sending a notice to you via email and/or by posting an announcement on Website (as applicable).
Questions / Suggestions / Concerns
- If you have questions, concerns or suggestions about HIEC, the Website or the Deliverables, please feel free to email us at email@example.com.
- If you notice any unauthorized activity with respect to your account, account name or password, please immediately email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the event that you believe that your personal safety is at risk or if you believe that you may be the victim of identity theft or other illegal conduct, please contact the appropriate federal, provincial or local law enforcement agencies directly.
DO NOT BE MISLED BY EMAILS THAT APPEAR TO BE FROM HIEC AND ASK FOR YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS EMAIL REQUESTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION, PLEASE FORWARD THE EMAIL IMMEDIATELY TO email@example.com SO THAT WE CAN INVESTIGATE THE EMAIL AND, IF NECESSARY, PROVIDE A SECURITY ALERT TO OUR USERS.
PLEASE DO NOT SEND CONFIDENTIAL PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION SUCH AS PASSPORT NUMBERS, GOVERNMENT IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS, OR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION TO US VIA AN UNSECURED EMAIL MESSAGE.