NEWS | NOV 23 2021
Bolt Women In Construction Trades Scholarship
BOLT Women in Construction Trades Scholarship
Are you a female apprentice working in the construction sector?
Successful applicants will receive $500 to support their in-class training and will also benefit from access to a female mentor from their own or similar trade to help provide additional support, share their experience and advice on advancing in the industry.
- Registered female apprentice and a member of OCOT
- You can demonstrate financial need
- You are 17-29 years old living in the GTA
applications Friday, December 31, 2021
If you have any questions, please
NEWS | NOV 17 2021
Finding Employment In The Skilled Trades Webinar Thursday, November 25
Join ApprenticeSearch.com on November 25th, from 12-1 pm for a Finding Employment In the Skilled Trades webinar.
Attendees can expect to learn the following:
- Tips and tricks for finding employment;
- How to stand out to employers and what employers are looking for;
- Learn about Apprenticesearch.com, a digital platform that provides intentional matching for apprentices and employers looking to hire;
- Learn about free programs and services offered through Apprenticessearch.com.
NEWS | NOV 11 2021
Pathways To The Trades Finish Carpentry 8 Week Paid Program For Youth Experiencing Financial Hardship
Humber College is offering an 8-week PAID program to help youth make a successful transition into the Finish Carpentry skilled trade. Participants will earn minimum wage to attend classes (30 hrs/week). If you’re exploring the trades and not sure what to pursue, this could be the program for you - whether you have completed high school or not.
We will even provide support to help you find a 12-week paid work placement following the training.
Please note: This program is designed to support youth (18-30 years old) who are currently unemployed, interested in exploring the trades, and are experiencing financial hardship.
This Program Is Funded By The Government of Canada.
Program Start Date: January 17, 2022
Seats are limited. Please apply now to avoid disappointment.
The program includes 30 hours of paid training per week, including 15 hours of trades exposure, 6 hours of academic upgrading, and 2 hours of employment preparation. You will also complete safety training and other relevant certifications including First Aid and Working at Heights.
Program Supports and Benefits
- Participants will earn minimum wage to attend classes (30 hrs/week)
- Additionally, they will earn a bonus for program & work completion
- They will also receive safety gear for in-class training as well as work placements
- Funding to assist participants with transportation & food costs
- Funding to assist with emergency costs - housing, health, legal, etc.
Please attend an information session to learn more.
NEWS | SEP 22 2021
Apply For The Avenues To Apprenticeship Program
Avenues to Apprenticeship is an 18-week, free program offered by our partner, ApprenticeSearch.com. It provides racialized youth who are interested in the trades with four weeks of paid training, a 14 week employment opportunity, and a variety of other supports (like job coaching and access to mentors) to help start a career in the skilled trades.
Not sure what trade you should pursue? Don’t worry - this program will include career awareness learning, including a skills, interests and personality assessment, that will help you focus on the right opportunities for you.
In addition, you’ll receive a clothing and tool stipend to prepare you for employment, personal protective equipment that will allow you to work safely during COVID-19, the technology required to complete training, and support for childcare needs if necessary.
Who is this program for?
This program is designed for young people who:
- Are interested in a career in the skilled trades, but don’t know how to get started
- Have experienced barriers to employment in the skilled trades and are looking for support
- Would like to gain skilled trades knowledge and experience before pursuing a pre-apprenticeship program
Am I eligible?
To be eligible, you are a BIPOC Canadian who is:
- Between the ages of 17-30
- Eligible to work in Canada
- Living in the GTA
- Available for 4 weeks of paid training, beginning October 2021
- Available for a 14 week employment opportunity, beginning in November 2021
How do I apply?
Register your interest for this program at: www.hiec.on.ca/what-we-do/avenues-to-apprenticeship
NEWS | AUG 23 2021
Canada Ontario Job Grant
Receive up to 50-83% in Employee Training Grants
The Canada-Ontario Job Grant (COJG) is an Ontario government funding program that offers training grants to employers. Through the program, companies may receive non-repayable funding from the government to purchase third-party business training programs, including training for in-demand skillsets. Training is expected to improve the employability and value employees can provide; including new hires in these training sessions can also maximize your funding potential.
Learn more about the Canada Job Grant (CJG) and each provincial stream.
NEWS | AUG 10 2021
The Workforce Accelerator Generating Employment (W.A.G.E.) Program
The Workforce Accelerator Generating Employment (W.A.G.E.) construction program will give you the skills and training you need to get a job in this quickly-growing sector. FREE!
- 14-week program, 24 hours per week
- New sessions starting Summer 2021, Fall 2021 and Winter 2022
- Learn the latest techniques in concrete forming and production framing
- Get hands-on training in Mohawk College’s world-class facilities
- Limited Space Available!
The program will offer 4 of the 10 courses required for the Mohawk Construction Techniques certificate:
- Concrete Forming and Finishing Techniques
- Production Framing Techniques
- Workplace Safety
- Surveying and Layout CET
Additional Program Supports:
- Employability skills webinars and training sessions
- Childcare subsidy and transportation assistance
- Association memberships, industry certifications, safety training and equipment purchases
- Assistance completing OCAS applications
If you are interested in joining the W.A.G.E. Construction program, join us at an upcoming information session to determine if you qualify.
Connect with IEC Hamilton at email@example.com